Thursday, July 7, 2011

Design Do or Don't

A new blog feature I will be periodically running are design trends that I am seeing through my client projects; called Design DO or Design DON'T.  This feature will allow you to see design trends & give your opinion.

My first design DO or DON'T is the current trend of glass counter tops.  This product is a laminated art glass kitchen countertop with unlimited color interlayer which creates remarkable depth. 

Is this a Design DO or DON'T?


(photo from DesignStandards by RM Global)

6 comments:

Elizabeth Bergesen said...

A do or don't? Depends on what the cost is and the durability.

karen said...

Based on looks only, a DO. How do the hold up to normal kitchen wear and tear? They are gorgeous though!

J+S said...

I guess it depends on how they wear, how much they cost, and the color. :)

Dana V said...

Does it scratch? chip? require special cleaners?

I would be afraid of its durability. Not sure about bright colors either - might get tired of them and poor resale potential. Love the bright color - would be fun for a cake shop, :)

Jazz K said...

If the colors were tasteful and neutral, I can see it being a design "do" but not in bright colors or colors that will fade out of style quickly. Durability is another issue as the others said. I'd also be concerned about how easy it cleans up and if it would stain.

Kathleen said...

I would be concerned about maintenance, definitely. I don't love it, though. It is such a strong statement for an area you work in every day I think you would get tired of it very quickly.